Adding Promo Codes for Discounts in Shopping Cart: Setting it up in Magento
If you want to create a coupon or discount code for (for example) £10 off discount firslty:
1. Set up a Shopping Cart Price Rule - give the Rule a clear title that you will understand later.
2. Go to “Coupon” and set the dropdown from No Coupon to Specific Coupon
3. Once you have done this some new fields will pop up underneath the Coupon field. In the Coupon field, add the Coupon code you want to use. It is suggested to make this relatively simple but also not too easy to guess. Perhaps you wish to add the code in the Rule Title, so that you can easily find it later.
4. Under this - you can specify the Uses per coupon (for example, 1, or more than one) and Uses per Customer. You can also specify the dates that this promotion will run. This is quite clear and simple to fill in.
5. We then enter the dates the coupon is valid for and select the priority of the coupon. In this case we keep the priority as 0, the highest priority. If you remember from the Catalog Price Rules, the priority is used when you have 2 Rules applying to the same products. The rule with the highest priority (lowest number) will take effect first.
6. You can also decide whether or not each individual price rule will be made public in the price rules RSS feed that your customers can sign up for.
7. We are going to skip Conditions and come back to it since we are creating a simple coupon here. If this is skipped, the coupon will apply to all carts where the coupon code is entered. The products in the cart will not need to meet any conditions. To complete this coupon we select Actions from the left navigation.
8. Select Percent of Product Price discount (the other options being Fixed amount discount, Fixed amount discount for whole cart, and Buy X get Y free) and enter the value you want to discount. In this case it is 10.
We then want to enter a value for the maximum qty the discount will be applied to. Since we enter 5 here, the 6th product (must be the same item) will not have the discount applied, only the first 5 will receive the 10 percent discount.
9.The Discount Qty Step controls how often the discount is applied. If we were to enter 8 here, the 10 percent discount would only apply after 8 items are added to the cart. If more than 8 items were added to the cart, the discount would remain as 10% or 8 items, until 16 items were added to the cart, at which point the discount would become 10% of 16 items. This would continue for every factor of 8. This would be useful for sellers who sell items in packages of 8 and only want to give discounts to each group of 8 items. In this case, we do not sell our items this way, so we will leave is field blank.
10. You can also elect to combine the coupon amount with a free shipping offer, either just for the products the coupon is valid for, or for the whole order if one of those products is present in the cart. Simply select the “Yes” or “No”.
11. Finally we stop further rules from taking effect on the products in this Rule. This means that if one of the products also had another Shopping Cart Discount Rule set up it would not take effect because this rule has the higher priority. If we were to set this value to No other rules could take effect. For example, if we had a buy 2 get 1 free coupon for one of the items set up to take effect without a coupon it could then take effect after we discounted the first 2 by 10%.
12. Now that we have the coupon information entered we can move and select which products the coupon is valid for.
In this case we are going to have the coupon valid on all products, so we will leave this section blank. If we wanted to specify this coupon to apply only to certain products, however, we could generate a set of conditions which the products must match in order to have the discount applied to them.
Now we select Save Rule and our 10% coupon is set to go, ready to be mailed in your newsletter and begin generating sales.