Pre-Launch System Configuration Checklist
Below are some of the configuration items that are most important for you to double check before you make your Magento website live. This checklist is a pre-launch checklist. It assumes you've already gone through your design, development and testing phases and have customized your store to match your look and feel and business needs and that you've fully tested the functionality and are ready to make it live. There are several configuration settings that aren't relevant when you're in development and testing but should be set and/or double-checked before you go into production. Here’s an Admin System Configuration checklist which you can use once your site is staged, in preparation for going live. We’ll go through the back end, section by section and let you know which pieces are relevant and important.
1. System → Configuration : General Settings
General tab → Website Restrictions panel (EE users only)
Ensure that your website access is not restricted
Web → Unsecure URL
Verify that your frontend URL is correct for your live environment.
Web → Secure URL
A 100% Signed and Trusted Certificate should be installed in the server when using secure base URL.
Store eMail Addresses
These email addresses will be used in sending and receiving email notifications (i.e. new order, invoice, shipment, credit memo, product price alerts, newsletters, etc.). So, make sure to update these fields with valid business email addresses.
2. System → Configuration : Sales Settings
Invoice and Packing Slip DesignEnsure that this is configured with your own business information.
Ensure that the Tax configuration settings are properly configured according to your business tax rules. Importing tax rates into Magento can easily be done under Sales -> Tax -> Import / Export Tax Rates.
Ensure that the origin section contains the shipping origin of your business.
Enable the carrier and appropriate shipping methods that your company uses.
Magento is integrated with Google API to allow your business to use the robust features of google such as Google Analytics, Google Base, Google Checkout, Google Website Optimizer. If you wish to use these features, you need to have Google Analytics, Base, & Merchant accounts.
Same as Google API, Magento is integrated with PayPal to allow your business to use PayPal payment methods. If you’re going to use this payment method, ensure that before going live, you aren’t using Sandbox Mode, which is the test mode for testing this payment method.
Enable the payment method(s) that your company uses and ensure that these payment methods are properly configured (i.e. order status, accepted currency, allowed countries, etc.)
3. System -> AdvancedSystem > Cron (Scheduled Tasks) – all the times are in minutes Ensure that Cron jobs are set to run at the desired time. These cron jobs are critical in ensuring that catalog price rules stick with the product prices, newsletters/customer alerts are sent, Google sitemaps are generated, automatic updating of currency rates, and scheduled database logs are cleaned.
For more information about setting up cron jobs, you may refer to this page on the wiki.
System -> Log Cleaning
Log cleaning must be enabled to ensure that your database log tables are cleaned. If you do not set this to clear your database log_ tables, your database can grow very large once you're in production and receiving your full traffic. The Save Log days should be set to keep logs according your needs and server capacity.
4: System -> Transactional Emails
The default email templates can be updated to reflect your branding more accurately by adding a new template and loading a default email template.
Under the System -> Configuration section, the following sections below use transactional email templates and email senders:
- Contacts -> Email Options
- Catalog -> Product Alerts
- Email to a Friend
- Newsletter -> Subscription Options
- Customer Configuration -> Create New Account Options
- Customer Configuration -> Password Options
- Customer Configuration -> Store Credit Options
- Wishlist -> Share Options
- Invitations -> Customer Invitation Email Template
- Reward Points -> Email Notification Settings
- Sales Emails -> Order
- Sales Emails -> Order Comments
- Sales Emails -> Invoice
- Sales Emails -> Invoice Comments
- Sales Emails -> Shipment
- Sales Emails -> Shipment Comments
- Sales Emails -> Credit Memo
- Sales Emails -> Credit Memo Comments
- Checkout -> Payment Failed Emails
- Gift Cards -> Gift Card Email Setting
- Gift Cards -> Email sent from Gift Card Account management
- Admin -> Admin User Emails
- System -> Log Cleaning
…and last, but definitely not least, once you’ve gone through this checklist, make sure to test everything before going live.